Classic Roasted Chicken Recipe
This is one of our regular go-to dishes we make a lot! It's easy, incredibly moist, and delicious. Typically, we use Old Salt Merchants Lavender Salt or Smoky Bold Salt when we roast our chicken. * We also always rinse our chicken with cider vinegar before roasting.
1 whole chicken (rinsed with cider vinegar)
1 -1.5 tablespoon OSM's lavender or smoke salt (or kosher salt)
2 garlic cloves
1 lemon cut in half
1 tablespoon good olive oil
1 -2 tablespoon melted butter
1 cup mix of carrots, parsnips, potatoes, purple radish (whatever you have on hand)
Aromatics like thyme and rosemary
1. Preheat oven to 425
2. Remove the chicken gimlets then rinse the chicken with cold water and cider vinegar, pat dry
3. Place clean chicken in a roasting pan, dutch oven or cast-iron skillet along with cut vegetables
4. Squeeze both lemons in the cavity of the chicken, do not discard the lemons, leave them in the cavity of the chicken
5. Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the chicken and the remaining 1 tablespoon over the vegetables
6. Pour 2 tablespoons of melted butter over the chicken. We like to semi-melt the butter then massage it all over the chicken
7. Liberally season the chicken with OSM's lavender salt, smoky salt or any kosher salt and pepper
8. Sprinkle 1 tsp of thyme and rosemary on the chicken; then stuff the cavity with full stem aromatics (thyme and rosemary) in addition to the garlic. At this point, you can tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wings, but we only do this if we remember.
9. Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh (internal temperature is 165 for poultry). Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with the vegetables and the jus.
IT VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU LET THE CHICKEN SIT FOR AT LEAST 20 MINUTES BEFORE SERVING.
***Don't throw the carcass away! Reuse it to make chicken stock. Add the carcass, water, aromatics, carrots, onions, and celery and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 2-3 hours (on the lowest heat). Strain for a hearty chicken bone broth. You're home will smell delicious!