Easy Pretzel Bites Recipe
These bite-sized pretzels, either as a sweet or salty version, are a wonderful make-at-home take on ones you might buy from a pushcart. This is a great recipe to make with your family, as you can to introduce them to a basic baking recipe that is easy to pull together. We PROMISE, everyone will devour these delicious nuggets. This recipe makes about 6 dozen bites and takes about an hour in total with prep and baking time.
- 2 1/2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (we like King Arthur Brand)
- 1 teaspoon Bolivian rose salt or kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet onion sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 7/8 to 1 cup warm water*
*Use the greater amount in the winter, the lesser amount in the summer, and somewhere in between in the spring and fall. Your goal is a soft dough.
- 1 cup (227g) boiling water
- 2 tablespoons (28g) baking soda
- coarse salt like OSM's Cyprus Salt, optional
- 6 tablespoons (85g) unsalted butter, melted
- OSM cinnamon sugar, optional
- To make the dough by hand, or with a mixer: Place all of the dough ingredients into a bowl, and beat until well-combined. Knead the dough, by hand or machine, for about 5 minutes, until it's soft, smooth, and quite slack. Flour the dough and place it in a bag, and allow it to rest for 30 minutes.
- To make dough with a bread machine: Place all of the dough ingredients into the pan of your bread machine, program the machine for dough or manual, and press Start. Allow the dough to proceed through its kneading cycle (no need to let it rise), then cancel the machine, flour the dough, and give it a rest in a plastic bag, as instructed above.
- While the dough is resting, prepare the topping: Combine the boiling water and baking soda, stirring until the soda is totally (or almost totally) dissolved. Set the mixture aside to cool to lukewarm (or cooler).
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Prepare a baking sheet by spraying it with vegetable oil spray, or lining it with parchment paper. Grease the parchment with vegetable oil spray to make double-sure the bites won't stick. This is very important.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased work surface, and divide it into six equal pieces.
- Roll the six pieces of dough into 12" to 15" ropes. Cut each rope crosswise into about 12 pieces (mold into bites)
- Pour the cooled baking soda solution into a pan large enough to hold the bites. Place the bites into the solution, gently swish them around, and leave them there for a couple of minutes. Transfer them to a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, and top with pretzel sea salt;
- Bake the bites for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and roll them in the melted butter.
- For cinnamon-sugar pretzels, toss with cinnamon-sugar once you've rolled the bites in the butter.
- Place on a rack to cool - enjoy them immediately while they're hot or wrap them and store at room temperature. Reheat briefly before serving.
*adapted from the King Arthur blog