Heart Shaped Thumb Print Cookies Recipe
We absolutely adore these heart-shaped peanut butter and jam cookies with Old Salt Merchants Cinnamon sugar and we think you will too. These delicious chewy cookies can be made with regular flour, but we opted for a gluten-free version. We used cassava flour (or try cup4cup flour) and they can also be made vegan and dairy-free. Here is the must-have ingredient: Old Salt Merchants Cinnamon Sugar!
- 1/4 cup OSM cinnamon sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup butter, soft or melted (dairy-free alternative if necessary)
- 1 cup cassava flour or gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup fresh peanut butter (smooth is better) or any nut butter
- 1 egg (or egg substitute)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- jam (any flavor but we prefer mgreenwood jams )
- Place your OSM cinnamon sugar and coconut sugar into a bowl. Add your melted butter and mix thoroughly until combined.
- Add in your egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add your fresh nut butter (we used peanut butter). Use an electric hand mixer to whisk until fully combined.
- Then add your cassava flour, baking soda, and xanthan gum and mix in until fully combined.
- Chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours (this is a must) in a bowl covered with plastic wrap. You can chill the dough for longer if you want to make it in advance.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and prepare a few baking trays with some parchment paper.
- Once the dough has chilled, remove it from the fridge and roll into balls. Optionally at this point, you can roll each ball in some cinnamon sugar to give it a nice taste and crunch.
- Put your balls onto your baking tray with space between each one.
- Carefully press your thumb down into each ball to create a hollowed-out heart center - be careful to not go too deep as you could create a hole!
- Spoon about 1/2 tsp of jam into each center - until the hole is nearly filled up.
- Place in the oven for about 15 minutes until the cookies have spread and turned golden.
- Allow to cool on the baking tray then move to a cooling rack.
- Enjoy! We usually refrigerate any extras for freshness.