Simple Greek Salad
Dutch The Old Salt's Simple Greek Salad Recipe
There is so much versatility with the easy to make Greek salad. It's tangy pungent dressing pairs well with grilled salmon, chicken, tofu and even chickpeas. Serve with a side of kalamata olive bread and you have a perfect dinner for your family. We personally think the pickled red onions make the salad and it only takes an additional 5 minutes to prepare.
FOR THE PICKLED RED ONIONS: OPTIONAL
1 large red onion
½ cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 bay leaf
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¾ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Old Salt Merchants lemon salt or kosher salt and black pepper
FOR THE SALAD:
1 bunch of romaine
1 bunch Tuscan (lacinato) kale (optional)
Old Salt Merchants salt or kosher salt
1 english cucumber
1 pint cherry tomatoes
½ cup pitted salt-cured black olives
¼ pound feta cheese
½ cup pickled red onions
1. Start by pickling the onions. Peel the onion and cut into quarters. Remove the center few pieces of the onion, especially if they are green. Julienne the quarters lengthwise, roughly ⅛ inch thick, being careful not to cut too thin.
2. Then make the dressing. Combine the vinegar, mustard, sugar, and salt. In a slow, steady stream, begin adding the olive oil while whisking continuously. Finish by whisking in the dried oregano. If the dressing seems too thick, thin it out with a little water. Season with salt and pepper.
3. In a small saucepan, mix ½ cup water, the vinegar, sugar, and salt. Heat to just a boil, stirring to make sure the sugar and salt have dissolved. Add the bay leaf to the liquid and pour over the onions. Cover with plastic wrap and cool. Drain and discard any liquid before eating.
4. Wash and dry the romaine lettuce and chop. Cut the kale into thin strips crosswise and put in a large bowl. Lightly salt the kale and dress with ¼ cup of red wine vinaigrette. Massage the vinaigrette into the kale, tossing gently with your hands.
5. Cut the cucumber into small, bite-size pieces. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Cut the olives in half. cut the radish into half. Add the tomatoes, cucumber, pickled onions, radish and olives to the bowl over the kale.
6. Drizzle an additional 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette over the vegetables and mix. Once mixed, taste to determine if you need extra vinaigrette or salt and add accordingly. Top with ¼-inch-thick slices of feta.
** Add any additional protein like grilled salmon, grilled chicken, grilled lamb, tofu or slow-roasted crunchy chickpeas.
Hybrid recipe from GOOP
Posted by Monique Rodriquez on March 18, 2020