Easy Sweet Potato Curry with Collard Greens Recipe
We're big fans of curry especially this easy & colorful one adapted from the First We Eat cookbook which we sell online here. The sweetness of the potatoes and the earthiness of the collard greens deliver a mouthful of delicious flavor. We used a variety of sweet potatoes like purple, white and orange to give it some pop in color. This dish is vegan (you can add sausage for a nonvegan approach) & serves 6 - Cook time is about one hour.
2 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 one inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 teaspoon red Thai curry paste
2 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
5 cups of full-fat coconut milk
12 ounces collard greens or kale
Cyprus White finishing salt or Matcha Salt or any flake kosher salt
1. In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat then add the chopped onion, minced garlic, Thai curry paste, and stir to combine. Cook until the onions have softened significantly and are translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
2. Add half of the sweet potatoes and cook, stirring every 2 minutes until slightly softened around the edges, about 10-12 minutes.
3. Add the coconut milk and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook, stirring every 5-10 minutes and mashing the sweet potato pieces against the side of the pot with the back of a wooden spoon as they cook, until the sweet potato pieces soften quite a bit and the coconut milk as thickened, about 30 minutes.
4. Add the collard greens (or kale) and remaining sweet potato and cook until the greens have wilted and turned dark green and the recently added sweet potatoes are soft when pricked with a fork, about 20 minutes more.
5. Remove from the heat and season with Matcha salt, or any other finishing salt and serve.
This dish tastes even better the next day as it absorbs in its juices. Enjoy!