Tasty Chocolate Balls Recipe
These special chocolate balls with Old Salt Merchants cocoa sugar are fun, fast and easy to make. There's no oven to mess with all you need is to refrigerate them for about 30 minutes so they form. This is a perfect recipe to do with the kids as a family cooking class. This recipe makes about 15 balls.
1 1/4 cups of rolled oats
1/4 cup of OSM cocoa sugar or coconut sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or a vanilla bean
3 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/4 cup unsalted butter ( can use coconut butter or ghee)
2 tablespoons of water or cold coffee
Toppings of your choice to roll the balls in - can be OSM cinnamon sugar, espresso sugar, chopped nuts, shredded coconut, sprinkles (SO MANY OPTIONS)
1. Mix together the oats, sugar, & cocoa in a bowl
2. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the bowl. If you using coconut butter, slightly heat it so it softens
3. Use your clean fingers to rub everything together into a crumbly mixture
4. Stin in the coffee or water and the vanilla extract or vanilla bean
5. Shape the mixture into round balls and roll them into your toppings, maybe sprinkles, shredded coconut, espresso sugar, nuts, you can do one of each
6. Transfer the balls to a pan with parchment paper and leave in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to one hour.
*A variation is to add 20 pitted dates instead of sugar with all the other ingredients and pulse in a food processor until blended into a paste. Shape the cookies into balls, roll them into your toppings and transfer to the fridge or at least 30 mins.
* You can even fill your chocolate ball with a little surprise - maybe a hazelnut or a berry...