- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 lb shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and halved lengthwise
- 1 lb pici
- 2 1/2 cups finely grated Pecorino Romano
- 1 tsp Old Salt Merchants Confetti Pepper Blend
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Place an oven safe serving bowl in oven to stay warm.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add in the mushrooms with a pinch of salt. Let cook for 8-10 minutes or until the mushrooms are softened and beginning to crisp.
- Fill a pot with about 6 quarts of water. Bring water to a boil and add a few pinches of salt. Add in the pasta and cook until slightly firmer than al dente.
- Remove the serving bowl from the oven and transfer the pasta into the bowl. Add in the mushrooms and toss. Be sure to save the pasta water.
- In a mixing bowl, add in the cheese, Old Salt Merchants Confetti Pepper Blend, and 1 1/2 cups of pasta water. Whisk until a paste is formed. If the cheese looks too clumpy, slowly add in small amounts of heavy cream until it reaches a consistency you like.
- Add the cheese sauce into the bowl with the pasta and toss. Gradually add another 1/2 cup of pasta water. Serve and enjoy!
Tips / Notes
- Recipe inspired by https://www.oliveandmango.com
Posted by Lauren Davis on May 10, 2021