- 2 pounds beets (about 6 medium sized beets), scrubbed clean
- 3/4 cup tahini
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice.
- 1/2 cup of good olive oil
- 2 small clove garlic, chopped.
- 2 tbsp ground coriander.
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (zest from approx. 2 lemons)
- Generous pinch of Extra Bold Smoked Salt or Cyprus Flake Sea Salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Pita bread
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- In a medium enameled cast-iron casserole, cover the beets with water and bring to a boil. Then cover and braise in the oven for about 2 hours, until very tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beets to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, slip off the skins. Cut the beets into 1-inch pieces, spread them on a baking sheet and refrigerate until cold, approximately 1 hour.
- In a food processor, combine the braised beets with the garlic, coriander and lemon juice. Then pulse until finely chopped. .
- With the machine on, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until fully emulsified and the beet puree is smooth. Whisk in the tahini. Season with Old Salt Merchants' Extra Bold Smoked Salt or Cyprus Flake Sea Salt and serve with pita bread
Tips / Notes
- Feel free to make this ahead of time, as the hummus can be refrigerated overnight.
Posted by Dutch The Old Salt on November 14, 2018